Do you care about the environment and want to make a difference?
Join us for a week long leadership development adventure for 55 secondary school students passionate about the environment. You will have the opportunity to address topical environmental issues facing our country, and develop strategies to address them. YELF 2019 will be in Auckland, Waikato and Rotorua and will focus on different environmental issues related to climate change, our oceans, freshwater and biodiversity. By working with other up and coming youth environmental leaders, you will leave YELF fired up, with improved leadership capabilities, inspired and ready to create change.
- This fully funded programme will allow students to learn more about the environmental issues related to climate change, our oceans, freshwater and biodiversity.
- Develop leadership skills while participating in outdoor activities.
- Meet and engage with inspiring and informative speakers, including experts from the Ministry for the Environment, Sir Peter Blake Trust alumni, local and national politicians, business and community leaders, and like-minded peers.
- Delegates to YELF are eligible to join future Young Blake Expeditions as student voyagers.
What will I be doing?
Our exciting programme is hands-on and student driven.We want you to feel inspired, involved, heard, and supported to learn and grow in the area of environmental leadership.You’ll go on field trips and workshops, get out on the water, develop leadership skills, and do all this alongside peers who are passionate about the same things as you. You’ll spend time with experts, politicians, business and community leaders, staff from the Ministry for the Environment, and inspirational Sir Peter Blake Trust Alumni. Check out the video below to see what YELF is all about.
YELF was amazing! It connected me back to my whenua, my turangawaewae & made me realise the true beauty of Aotearoa with some of the most important people I'll ever meet because they feel the exact same way. It was an experience that I'll never forget. ”
Want to apply?
Are you a Sir Peter Blake EnviroLeader? To be eligible to attend the forum, you’ll need to be:
- A NZ student in Year 11 - 13
- Passionate about the environment
- Someone with leadership potential
You will apply through our online portal, and will be asked to upload the following items:
- A CV
- A character reference from your Teacher, or Principal
- A recent photograph
What is expected of me, if I am selected for YELF?
We want everyone to have a memorable, enriching experience. So you’ll need to behave in ways that acknowledge you’re representing your family, your school, and the Trust at all times. We want you to participate fully in all activities and make contributions that add value to everyone’s experience, including yours. And you’ll need to attend the entire forum, from beginning to end.
Is there any cost to attend the forum?
No. We pay for all transport, accommodation, field trips and food. You might need to buy appropriate gear if you don’t already have it - we’ll send you a checklist.
What about after the forum?
Once you’ve participated in YELF, we expect you will be brimming over with knowledge, and will have made new life-long friendships. We expect you will be ready to go back to your communities, ready to tell everyone you meet about your experience. The other thing is - you’re now eligible to apply for future Young Blake Expeditions as a student voyager.